Ezhumanthuruthu, often referred to simply as Ezhumanthuruthu Island, is a charming and serene island located in the picturesque state of Kerala, India. Nestled amidst the backwaters of Kerala, this island is known for its natural beauty, tranquil ambiance, and unique geographical features. In this article, we will explore the enchanting Ezhumanthuruthu Island, including its attractions and what makes it a special destination.
Ezhumanthuruthu Island is situated in the Kollam district of Kerala, which is renowned for its extensive network of backwaters, rivers, and lush green landscapes. The island is part of the famous Ashtamudi Lake, one of the largest and most scenic backwater lakes in Kerala.
Attractions and Highlights
- Backwater Scenic Beauty: The primary allure of Ezhumanthuruthu Island is its stunning backwater landscape. Visitors can embark on serene boat rides along the meandering waterways, offering a unique perspective of Kerala’s natural beauty. The tranquil backwaters are surrounded by coconut groves and greenery, creating a serene and idyllic atmosphere.
- Fishing Villages: Ezhumanthuruthu Island is dotted with traditional fishing villages where you can observe the daily life of the local fishermen. You might even have the opportunity to interact with the friendly villagers and learn about their fishing techniques and way of life.
- Bird Watching: The island and its surrounding backwaters are a haven for birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts. You can spot a variety of bird species, including kingfishers, egrets, herons, and migratory birds, making it a delightful destination for birdwatching.
- Coir Industry: The coir industry is an essential part of Kerala’s economy, and Ezhumanthuruthu Island is no exception. Visitors can witness the traditional process of coir extraction and weaving, gaining insight into this significant industry that produces coir products like mats, rugs, and ropes.
- Village Tours: Guided village tours are available for those interested in experiencing the local way of life. These tours often include visits to homes, coir-making units, and interaction with the hospitable residents.
How to Reach Ezhumanthuruthu Island
Ezhumanthuruthu Island is accessible via waterways, and the most common mode of transportation is by boat or canoe. Here’s how you can reach the island:
- By Air: The nearest major airport is Trivandrum International Airport, approximately 72 kilometers (45 miles) away. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take public transportation to reach the boat jetty for Ezhumanthuruthu.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station is Kollam Junction, which is well-connected to various cities in Kerala and other parts of India. From Kollam, you can reach the island by road and then take a boat.
- By Road: You can reach Kollam by road and then proceed to the nearest boat jetty, usually in Munroe Island, which is connected to Ezhumanthuruthu by a short boat ride.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Ezhumanthuruthu Island is during the winter months, from October to February, when the weather is pleasant, and you can fully enjoy the natural beauty and outdoor activities without the discomfort of heavy rainfall.
Ezhumanthuruthu Island offers a peaceful and authentic Kerala experience amidst the backwaters. It is an ideal destination for travelers seeking a tranquil escape, a glimpse into local life, and an opportunity to immerse themselves in the natural beauty of Kerala’s backwaters and coir-making traditions. A visit to Ezhumanthuruthu Island is a chance to unwind and appreciate the simplicity and charm of Kerala’s rural life.