Palani is a sacred hill town located in the Dindigul district of Tamil Nadu, India. Situated at the foothills of the Palani Hills, the town is famous for the ancient Palani Murugan Temple, which is dedicated to Lord Murugan (Kartikeya). The temple is one of the six abodes of Lord Murugan and attracts a large number of devotees from all over the country. Palani is not only a significant religious destination but also offers a tranquil ambiance and stunning natural beauty. Here are some of the key highlights and attractions of Palani:
1. Palani Murugan Temple: The Palani Murugan Temple is the most prominent landmark in the town. It is perched on a hilltop, and devotees climb 693 steps or take the winch ride to reach the temple. The idol of Lord Murugan is made of Navapashanam, a sacred combination of nine minerals.
2. Thiru Avinankudi Temple: This temple is located at the foot of the hill and is the starting point of the climb to the Palani Murugan Temple. It is believed to be the place where Saint Bhogar, an ancient Tamil Siddha, prepared the idol of Lord Murugan with Navapashanam.
3. Palani Hills: Palani is surrounded by the scenic Palani Hills, offering opportunities for nature walks and trekking.
4. Kuthiraiyar Dam: Kuthiraiyar Dam is a popular picnic spot located about 10 kilometers from Palani. The dam is surrounded by lush greenery and offers a peaceful ambiance.
5. Varathamanathi Dam: This dam is another popular tourist spot near Palani, providing scenic views of the backwaters and the surrounding landscape.
6. Shanmuga River: The Shanmuga River flows through Palani, and a walk along its banks is a serene experience.
7. Panchamirtham: Palani is famous for its Panchamirtham, a sweet mixture made of bananas, jaggery, honey, ghee, and cardamom, which is offered as prasadam in the temple.
8. Palani Handlooms: The town is known for its handloom industry, and visitors can explore and purchase traditional textiles and sarees.
9. Elephant Rides: The temple offers elephant rides for visitors, providing a unique and enjoyable experience.
Palani’s spiritual significance and tranquil surroundings make it an essential destination for religious devotees and travelers seeking a peaceful retreat. The town’s sacred atmosphere and natural beauty offer a unique blend of spirituality and serenity, making Palani an unforgettable destination in Tamil Nadu.