Yelagiri, also known as Yelagiri Hills, is a serene hill station located in the Vellore district of Tamil Nadu, India. Situated at an altitude of about 1,100 meters above sea level in the Eastern Ghats, Yelagiri is a lesser-known but charming destination for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts. The hill station offers a perfect blend of natural beauty, pleasant weather, and outdoor activities. Here are some of the top attractions and experiences to enjoy in Yelagiri:
1. Punganoor Lake and Park: Punganoor Lake is a picturesque artificial lake surrounded by a well-maintained park. Visitors can enjoy boating in the lake and relax in the tranquil ambiance of the park.
2. Jalagamparai Waterfalls: This beautiful waterfall is located amidst dense forests and requires a short trek to reach. The cascading waters make it an ideal spot for nature enthusiasts and photographers.
3. Nature Walks and Treks: Yelagiri offers several nature trails and trekking routes that lead to viewpoints, waterfalls, and dense forests, providing a perfect opportunity to connect with nature.
4. Swamimalai Hills: Swamimalai is the highest point in Yelagiri and offers panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes. It is a popular spot for trekking and witnessing stunning sunrises and sunsets.
5. Murugan Temple: The Murugan Temple in Yelagiri is dedicated to Lord Murugan (Kartikeya) and is an important religious site for devotees.
6. Telescope Observatory: Yelagiri houses a telescope observatory, where visitors can explore the night sky and observe celestial bodies.
7. Herbal Farm Visits: Yelagiri is known for its herbal farms, and visitors can take guided tours to learn about the cultivation of various herbs and medicinal plants.
8. Boathouse: Yelagiri has a boathouse where visitors can enjoy boating on a small lake amidst scenic surroundings.
9. Paragliding: For adventure enthusiasts, Yelagiri offers paragliding opportunities to experience the thrill of flying over the hills.
10. Handmade Craft Shopping: Yelagiri is known for its handmade crafts, including pottery, silk and woolen items, and terracotta artifacts. Visitors can shop for souvenirs and support local artisans.
Yelagiri’s tranquil ambiance, lush landscapes, and moderate climate make it an ideal destination for a relaxed and enjoyable getaway. Whether it’s exploring the natural beauty, indulging in adventure activities, or simply unwinding in the lap of nature, Yelagiri Hills promises a refreshing and memorable experience in the heart of the Eastern Ghats.