Bidar is a historic city located in the northeastern part of the Indian state of Karnataka. It is situated on the Deccan Plateau and is renowned for its rich cultural heritage, historical monuments, and architectural marvels. Bidar has a fascinating history that dates back to ancient times, and it has been ruled by various dynasties, including the Bahmani Sultanate, the Barid Shahi dynasty, and the Mughals. Today, Bidar is a popular tourist destination, attracting history enthusiasts and travelers interested in exploring the region’s glorious past. Here are some key highlights and attractions of Bidar:
1. Bidar Fort: The Bidar Fort is one of the main attractions of the city and is an impressive example of Persian and Indian architectural styles. It houses several historical monuments and palaces within its complex.
2. Bahmani Tombs: The Bahmani Tombs are mausoleums of the rulers of the Bahmani Sultanate, reflecting beautiful Indo-Islamic architecture and intricate carvings.
3. Bidar Fort Museum: The museum inside Bidar Fort houses a collection of artifacts, sculptures, and historical relics from the region’s rich past.
4. Guru Nanak Jhira Sahib: This Sikh pilgrimage site is located in Bidar and holds religious significance for followers of Sikhism.
5. Rangeen Mahal: Also known as the Painted Palace, Rangeen Mahal is a beautiful palace inside the Bidar Fort, showcasing colorful murals and paintings.
6. Chaubara: The Chaubara, or Clock Tower, is an old clock tower built during the reign of the Bahmani Sultanate.
7. Papnash Shiva Temple: The Papnash Shiva Temple is an ancient temple located on the banks of the Manjira River, attracting devotees and visitors alike.
8. Basavakalyan: Basavakalyan, located near Bidar, is a town of historical importance, known for the Basavakalyan Fort and the Basaveshwara Temple.
9. Ashtur Tombs: The Ashtur Tombs are ancient funerary structures located in a small village near Bidar.
10. Bidar Udgir Fort: The Udgir Fort, located near Bidar, is an impressive fortification known for its historical significance.
Bidar’s splendid historical monuments and the remnants of its glorious past make it a rewarding destination for travelers interested in exploring the cultural legacy of Karnataka. The city’s rich architecture, religious sites, and ancient charm offer a unique and memorable experience for visitors.