Bundi is a captivating town located in the southeastern region of the Indian state of Rajasthan. It is known for its enchanting stepwells, ancient forts, and stunning palaces. Nestled amid the Aravalli Hills, Bundi exudes a unique charm with its blue-painted houses, intricate architecture, and a laid-back atmosphere. The town’s historical significance, cultural heritage, and artistic splendor make it a hidden gem and an offbeat destination for travelers seeking an authentic Rajasthani experience. Here are some key highlights and attractions of Bundi:
1. Taragarh Fort: Perched on a hilltop, the Taragarh Fort offers panoramic views of the town and the surrounding landscape. It is known for its massive battlements, reservoirs, and beautiful gateways.
2. Bundi Palace: Located adjacent to Taragarh Fort, Bundi Palace is an architectural marvel with its intricately carved pillars, frescoes, and wall paintings depicting various scenes from the royal life.
3. Stepwells: Bundi is famous for its stepwells, known as “baoris” or “baolis.” The most prominent ones are Raniji ki Baori and Nawal Sagar.
4. Raniji ki Baori: This stepwell, built by Queen Rani Nathavatji, features a symphony of stairs, pavilions, and exquisite carvings.
5. Nawal Sagar Lake: The artificial lake is adorned with a half-submerged temple and numerous cenotaphs, creating a picturesque setting.
6. Chaurasi Khambon ki Chhatri: An awe-inspiring cenotaph with 84 intricately carved pillars, it is a prime example of Rajput architecture.
7. Sukh Mahal: Located near Jait Sagar Lake, Sukh Mahal is a former royal summer residence and is believed to be the inspiration behind Rudyard Kipling’s “Jungle Book.”
8. Badal Mahal: Translated as the “Palace of Clouds,” Badal Mahal offers a striking view of the town and is a perfect spot to witness stunning sunsets.
9. Dabhai Kund: This stepwell is another architectural gem with beautifully carved balconies and pavilions.
10. Keshavrai Patan: An ancient temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu, Keshavrai Patan features beautiful stone carvings and sculptures.
Bundi’s old-world charm, splendid architecture, and serene ambiance make it an ideal destination for travelers seeking a break from the hustle and bustle of more touristy places. The town’s rich cultural heritage and the fascinating stories associated with its historical sites offer a unique and immersive experience for visitors.