Nagarjuna Sagar is a popular tourist destination in the Nalgonda district of the Indian state of Telangana. It is renowned for its dam, which is one of the largest masonry dams in the world, and the picturesque reservoir formed by it. The region also holds historical significance and is home to various attractions. Here are the key highlights of Nagarjuna Sagar:
1. **Nagarjuna Sagar Dam**: The Nagarjuna Sagar Dam is a massive masonry dam built on the Krishna River. It serves irrigation and hydroelectric power generation purposes. The reservoir formed by the dam is one of the largest man-made lakes in the world and offers scenic views.
2. **Ethipothala Waterfall**: Located near Nagarjuna Sagar, Ethipothala is a beautiful waterfall formed by the Chandravanka River. The waterfall cascades down amidst lush greenery and is a popular spot for nature enthusiasts and photographers.
3. **Nagarjuna Konda**: This island is situated in the middle of the reservoir and houses the ruins of ancient Buddhist stupas and monasteries. It was an important Buddhist site and showcases the historical significance of the region.
4. **Anupu**: Anupu is an archaeological site near Nagarjuna Sagar that features the partially reconstructed remains of an ancient Buddhist university and monastery.
5. **Nagarjuna Sagar Wildlife Sanctuary**: The sanctuary is home to various species of flora and fauna, including panthers, tigers, spotted deer, and a variety of bird species. It’s a great destination for wildlife enthusiasts and birdwatchers.
6. **Museum at Nagarjuna Sagar Dam**: The museum located near the dam provides insights into the history of the dam’s construction, archaeological discoveries, and local culture.
7. **Sriparvata Arama**: This Buddhist monastery, located on Nagarjuna Konda, is a reconstructed site that offers a glimpse into the ancient Buddhist architecture and lifestyle.
8. **Macherla**: This town near Nagarjuna Sagar is known for its historical temples, including the Chennakesava Temple, which is dedicated to Lord Vishnu.
Nagarjuna Sagar is not only a marvel of engineering but also a site of historical, cultural, and natural significance. It’s a popular weekend getaway for people from nearby cities like Hyderabad. The combination of the dam, the serene reservoir, the ancient Buddhist relics, and the natural beauty of the surroundings make it a multifaceted destination for travelers.