Veli Tourist Village is a delightful and popular tourist destination located near Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of Kerala, India. Nestled at the confluence of the Veli Lake and the Arabian Sea, this charming village offers a unique blend of natural beauty, recreational activities, and cultural experiences. In this article, we’ll explore the attractions and offerings of Veli Tourist Village, making it a must-visit destination for travelers.
Location and Geography
Veli Tourist Village is situated approximately 12 kilometers from Thiruvananthapuram city, making it easily accessible for both tourists and locals. The village is strategically positioned where the Veli Lake meets the Arabian Sea, creating a picturesque landscape of tranquil backwaters and sandy shores.
Attractions and Activities
- Floating Bridge: The highlight of Veli Tourist Village is its unique floating bridge, which extends over the Veli Lake. The bridge allows visitors to walk over the calm backwaters and offers spectacular views of the surrounding natural beauty. It’s a popular spot for leisurely strolls and photography.
- Water Sports: Veli Lake is an ideal location for water sports enthusiasts. Visitors can enjoy activities like pedal boating and rowing in the serene waters of the lake. The calm and shallow waters make it a safe and enjoyable experience for all ages.
- Children’s Park: Veli Tourist Village has a well-maintained children’s park with various play equipment, including swings and slides. It’s a perfect place for families with kids to relax and let their little ones have fun.
- Sculpture Garden: The village features a beautiful sculpture garden with intricate and contemporary sculptures created by renowned artists. It’s an excellent spot for art lovers and those interested in exploring the creative side of Kerala.
- Picnic Area: Veli offers ample picnic areas shaded by coconut groves and palm trees. Visitors can bring their own picnic baskets or enjoy the local snacks available at the village.
- Cafeteria: There is a cafeteria overlooking the backwaters, serving delicious Kerala cuisine and refreshments. It’s an ideal place to savor local flavors while enjoying the scenic views.
- Boat Rides: You can take boat rides in traditional Kerala-style boats, which provide a unique perspective of the Veli Lake and its serene surroundings.
- Bird Watching: Veli Tourist Village is home to various bird species, making it a rewarding location for birdwatching enthusiasts. Keep an eye out for migratory and resident birds.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Veli Tourist Village is during the winter months, from October to March, when the weather is pleasant and ideal for outdoor activities. However, the village is open year-round, and even during the monsoon season (June to September), you can enjoy the lush greenery and the sight of rain-soaked backwaters.
- Entry Fees: There is a nominal entry fee to access Veli Tourist Village, which may vary for adults and children. Additional charges apply for specific activities and boat rides.
- Footwear: It’s advisable to wear comfortable footwear suitable for walking on the floating bridge and sandy areas.
- Sun Protection: Don’t forget to bring sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat to protect yourself from the sun, especially during the daytime.
- Camera: Capture the beauty of Veli by bringing your camera or smartphone to take memorable photographs.
Veli Tourist Village offers a delightful blend of nature, entertainment, and cultural experiences in the tranquil backdrop of Kerala’s backwaters. Whether you’re exploring the floating bridge, enjoying water sports, or simply relaxing by the lakeside, Veli promises a memorable and rejuvenating experience. It’s a perfect destination for families, nature lovers, and anyone seeking a peaceful retreat amidst Kerala’s natural beauty.