Kollam, also known as Quilon, is a coastal city in the southern Indian state of Kerala. Blessed with a picturesque coastline along the Arabian Sea, Kollam is renowned for its pristine beaches that offer tranquility, natural beauty, and a touch of Kerala’s rich cultural heritage. In this article, we will take you on a journey to discover the stunning beaches of Kollam and the unique experiences they offer to visitors.
1. Kollam Beach (Mahatma Gandhi Beach)
Kollam Beach, also known as Mahatma Gandhi Beach, is the primary beach in the city and one of its most popular attractions. This beach is known for its calm and serene atmosphere, making it an ideal spot for relaxation. Key features and activities at Kollam Beach include:
- Beachcombing: The sandy shores of Kollam Beach are perfect for leisurely walks and beachcombing, allowing you to collect seashells and enjoy the coastal breeze.
- Thangassery Lighthouse: A visit to the historic Thangassery Lighthouse, located nearby, offers panoramic views of the Arabian Sea and the beach.
- Fishing Activities: You can observe local fishermen at work and even try your hand at fishing. Taking a boat ride to explore the nearby fishing villages is a unique experience.
2. Thirumullavaram Beach
Thirumullavaram Beach, situated about 6 kilometers north of Kollam, is another serene coastal gem. This beach is known for its cleanliness and well-maintained surroundings. Activities at Thirumullavaram Beach include:
- Swimming: The calm and shallow waters of the beach make it safe for swimming, especially during the tourist season.
- Picnics: Thirumullavaram Beach is a popular spot for picnics and family outings, thanks to its tranquil ambiance and well-kept gardens.
- Sunsets: Watching the sunset over the Arabian Sea from Thirumullavaram Beach is a magical experience.
4. Thangassery Beach
Thangassery Beach is a peaceful and less crowded beach located in the Thangassery area of Kollam. It is known for its natural beauty and historical significance. Things to do at Thangassery Beach include:
- Sunbathing: The sandy shores are perfect for sunbathing and unwinding while enjoying the sea breeze.
- St. Thomas Fort: Visit the historic St. Thomas Fort, a Portuguese-built structure, which offers scenic views of the beach and the Arabian Sea.
- Fishing Village: Explore the local fishing village and witness the daily lives of fishermen. You can also engage in fishing activities with them.
5. Chavara Beach
Chavara Beach, located in the Chavara region of Kollam, is known for its natural beauty and tranquil atmosphere. It is a serene escape from the bustling city. Activities at Chavara Beach include:
- Beach Walks: Take leisurely walks on the soft sands and enjoy the solitude of the beach.
- Bird Watching: Chavara Beach is a great spot for birdwatching, with various bird species inhabiting the coastal area.
- Backwater Cruise: Explore the nearby backwaters and estuaries by taking a backwater cruise.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit the beaches of Kollam is during the post-monsoon and winter months, from September to March, when the weather is pleasant and conducive to outdoor activities.
- Respect local customs and traditions when visiting religious sites near the beaches.
- Carry essentials such as sunscreen, sunglasses, and drinking water, especially if you plan to spend extended hours at the beaches.
- Check the local guidelines for swimming safety, as conditions can vary depending on the season and beach location.
The beaches of Kollam offer a perfect blend of natural beauty, cultural heritage, and serene surroundings. Whether you’re seeking relaxation, water activities, or a glimpse into Kerala’s history, these beaches have something for every traveler. Enjoy the tranquil charm of Kollam’s coastal wonders as you explore these pristine shores along the Arabian Sea.