Thangassery Beach, located in the historic town of Thangassery near Kollam (Quilon) in the southern Indian state of Kerala, is a tranquil and picturesque coastal destination. Nestled along the Arabian Sea, this beach is known for its natural beauty, historical significance, and peaceful ambiance. In this article, we’ll explore Thangassery Beach, its attractions, and why it’s a must-visit destination for travelers seeking a serene coastal retreat.
Location and Geography
Thangassery Beach is situated in Thangassery, a coastal town in the Kollam district of Kerala. It is approximately 5 kilometers from Kollam city and about 70 kilometers from Thiruvananthapuram, the state capital. The beach extends for several kilometers and is bordered by the historic Thangassery Lighthouse.
Attractions and Activities
- Thangassery Lighthouse: The iconic Thangassery Lighthouse, dating back to the 20th century, is one of the major attractions at Thangassery Beach. Visitors can climb to the top of the lighthouse to enjoy panoramic views of the Arabian Sea, the beach, and the surrounding area. The lighthouse also serves as a historical landmark and provides insights into Kerala’s maritime history.
- Historical Churches: Thangassery is known for its historical churches, including the Portuguese-built St. Thomas Fort and the Infant Jesus Cathedral. These religious sites showcase stunning architecture and are a testament to the town’s colonial history.
- Kollam Beach: While visiting Thangassery Beach, you can also explore the nearby Kollam Beach, which is known for its serene ambiance and pristine shores. It’s an excellent place for a leisurely stroll and enjoying the coastal breeze.
- Fishing Activities: Thangassery is a traditional fishing village, and visitors can witness the daily activities of local fishermen. You can even participate in fishing or take a boat ride to experience the local fishing culture.
- Relaxation and Beachcombing: Thangassery Beach offers a tranquil environment for relaxation. You can lounge on the sandy shores, listen to the soothing sounds of the waves, or indulge in beachcombing to collect seashells and other treasures.
- Picnics and Sunset Viewing: The beach’s serene atmosphere and natural beauty make it an ideal spot for picnics and watching spectacular sunsets over the Arabian Sea. The peaceful surroundings create a perfect setting for a quiet evening by the sea.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Thangassery Beach is during the post-monsoon and winter months, from September to March, when the weather is pleasant, and outdoor activities can be enjoyed comfortably.
- Don’t forget to visit the Thangassery Lighthouse and climb to the top for breathtaking views.
- Wear comfortable footwear for walking on the beach and exploring the historic sites.
- Respect local customs and traditions, especially when visiting religious sites.
- Be mindful of the tides and currents when swimming or participating in water activities.
Thangassery Beach is a hidden gem along the coastline of Kerala, offering a blend of natural beauty and historical significance. Whether you’re exploring the historical churches, climbing the lighthouse for panoramic views, or simply relaxing on the sandy shores, Thangassery Beach provides a peaceful and rejuvenating experience. It’s a perfect destination for history buffs, nature lovers, and anyone seeking a serene coastal retreat in “God’s Own Country.”